June 5, 2008

Raindrops

Guess where I am. On my front porch. Watching the rain. Total cliche.

I just got back from my parent's place to pick up my daughter. Mom was bragging about what new smarts the kid showed today. It kills me to know that I wasn't the first one to know. Apparently, she ate chicken today. And she loved it. Even though I explicitly asked Mom not to introduce chicken to the kid's diet yet. But I wasn't there. I had no choice.

I need to do something. I need to take control, draw the line. In my head, it would be so lovely. No one telling me what to do. Me and hubby raising the kid just how I want to. Noone pressuring me with thoughts about just how sucky a mother I turned out to be. I just want to pack up my bags and leave. Build a family (I thought that's what I'm supposed to be doing now, but noooo....)

This has been going on for too long. But as they say: you can't change anyone but yourself.

So, here's to the very little privacy in the extended Asian family culture who don't really let one be independent. Here's to believing that everything is normal and under-control. Here's to hoping that we'll finally find our place in the world. Here's to a new mindset.

Here's to the raindrops falling on my head. Hear, hear!

No comments: